TORRINGTON’S SCARPELLIS’ RESTAURANT, A POPULAR EATERY ON THE CITY’S WEST SIDE SINCE THE MID-20TH CENTURY, HAS CLOSED PERMANENTLY, WITH THE PROPERTY BEING SOLD TO A PETROLEUM COMPANY – PLANS FOR THE PROPERTY NOT YET REVEALED. SCARPELLI’S OWNER DANNY PALLADINO, WHO WORKED AT THE MIGEON AVENUE RESTAURANT SINCE 1983 AND BOUGHT IT FROM THE SCARPELLI FAMILY IN 2007, TELLS WZBG THAT HE CLOSED THE RESTAURANT TODAY AT 11AM AT THE END OF the BREAKFAST RUN. PLANS ARE TO CLOSE ON the SALE OF THE PROPERTY TOMORROW TO ‘A-N-Z’ PETROLEUM OF TERRYVILLE FOR AN UNDISCLOSED PRICE. LAST YEAR, IT WAS THOUGHT CUMBERLAND FARMS WOULD BUY THE PROPERTY AND DEVELOP A MODERN GAS STATION AND CONVENIENCE STORE THERE, BUT PALLADINO SAYS DESPITE ALL CITY APPROVALS AWARDED, THOSE PLANS FELL THROUGH WHEN CUMBERLAND FARMS SOLD ITS CHAIN. PALLADINO SAYS WITH HIS PROPERTY APPROVED FOR GAS STATION USE, HE’D BEEN APPROACHED BY VARIOUS COMPANIES INTERESTED IN BUYING IT, AND HE SAYS ‘A-N-Z’ PETROLUEM, WHICH HE SAYS ALSO OWNS THE VALERO AND CITGO STATIONS IN TORRINGTON, WILL CLOSE ON HIS PROPERTY TOMORROW. PALLADINO WAS CLEARING OUT THE RESTAURANT TODAY. HE SAYS HE HAS NOT BEEN NOTIFIED OF THE INCOMING OWNER’S PLANS OR TIMETABLE AS YET. PALLADINO SAYS HE WILL CONTINUE WORKING, BUT WHERE, HE DOESN’T YET KNOW. PALLADINO SAYS HE’S WORKING OUT A PLAN TO REDEEM UNUSED SCARPELLI’S GIFT CERTIFICATES, MORE ON THAT TO COME. PALLADINO SAYS HE WAS TOO EMOTIONAL TO COMMENT TODAY, EXCEPT TO SAY THAT IT’S NOT A HAPPY DAY. HE SAYS THIS DEVELOPMENT FEELS LIKE THE DEATH OF HIS LIVELIHOOD AND ONE OF THE LOVES OF HIS PROFESSIONAL LIFE. AGAIN, TORRINGTON’S SCARPELLI’S RESTAURANT HAS CLOSED PERMANENLY, WITH THE MIGEON AVENUE PROPERTY TO BE SOLD TOMORROW TO A TERRYVILLE-BASED PETROLEUM COMPANY, FOR PLANS YET TO BE ANNOUNCED.

 

WHY HAVE ABOUT 160 HOMELESS NEW YORK CITY FAMILIES ENDED UP IN CONNECTICUT, INCLUDING 3 IN TORRINGTON? THE SUNDAY REPUBLICAN REPORTED THE BIG APPLE HAS FOUND A WAY TO HELP SOLVE ITS GROWING HOMELESS POPULATION BY PAYING PEOPLE A FULL YEAR’S RENT TO MOVE OUT, AND THAT SO FAR, OVER 3,200 FAMILIES HAVE BEEN RELOCATED ACROSS THE COUNTRY. AFTER THE 1-YEAR PAID RENT, THE FAMILIES ARE ON THEIR OWN. TORRINGTON MAYOR ELINOR CARBONE TELLS WZBG SHE’S DISTRESSED BY THE PROGRAM. NOT HAVING BEEN TOLD OF IT IN ADVANCE. SHE CHECKED INTO IT BUT SAYS COMMUNITIES ARE POWERLESS TO OPT OUT OF IT.

 

TORRINGTON’S FRIENDLY HANDS FOODBANK WILL CONTINUE OPERATIONS IN THE WAKE OF SUNDAY’S DEATH OF FOUNDER AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MAUREEN HUBERT. JESSICA SCARFO, WHO WORKED WITH HUBERT FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS, TELLS WZBG THE FOODBANK REMAINS IN BUSINESS, SAYING: “MO MADE ARRANGEMENTS AND THE FOODBANK WILL CONTINUE INTO THE FUTURE SERVING THE COMUNITY. MEANWHILE, FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED FOR HUBERT. CALLING HOURS ARE FRIDAY, 5 TO 7PM AT TORRINGTON’S GLEESON-RYAN FUNERAL HOME. A FUNERAL MASS IS SET FOR SATURDAY AT 10AM AT TORRINGTON’S SAINT FRANCIS CHURCH.

 

THE PUBLIC HEARING TORRINGTON’S PLANNING & ZONING COMMISSION EXPECTED TO HOLD WEDNESDAY ON A PLAN TO TURN A 39-ACRE VACANT PARCEL IN THE GREENBRIAR NEIGHBORHOOD INTO A 120 UNIT APARTMENT COMPLEX FOR PEOPLE 55-AND-OVER, HAS BEEN POSTPONED. CITY PLANNER MARTIN CONNOR TELLS WZBG THE DEVELOPER HAS A NEW ATTORNEY, WHO ASKED THAT THE HEARING BE POSTPONED, AND IT’S BEEN RE-SCHEDULED TO FEBRUARY 19TH. PLANS FOR THE COMPLEX CALL FOR MOSTLY 1 & 2 BEDROOM UNITS IN 4 BUILDINGS. THE INLAND WETLANDS COMMISSION OK’D THE PLAN LAST SPRING, BUT IT STILL NEEDS SPECIAL EXCEPTION APPROVAL.